Total Pageviews

Friday, August 31, 2012

Hierarchy of Needs

Back when I was in my Nursing Program-we spoke a lot about Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs.  Interesting that most of the time we refer to this for childhood development or illness requirements.  As you can gather from the image above physiologic needs are the most basic, followed by safety, belonging (and love), self-esteem and then self-actualization (we may aspire to this but never quite get it).

I am revisiting this theory to try and make sense of how "needy" I feel.  While it is true that my basic needs are taken care of-food, water, shelter and warmth-higher needs have been in jeopardy during my loss.  Safety needs are absent first and then the love needs come into play.

Although I do not have the time today to fully articulate some of my concerns or understand the neediness that seems to drive me-I will revisit this in future entries.

Something more to think about......

No comments:

Post a Comment